Peter A. CLARKSON
Born: 9th May 1957
Education and Degree:
- B.A., July 1979, Mathematics, University of Oxford, UK;
- D.Phil., July 1983, Mathematics, University of Oxford, UK
Current Professional Status:
- Professor of Mathematics, Institute of Mathematics, Statistics and
Actuarial Science, University of Kent, Canterbury, UK
Editorial Board Membership:
Areas of Expertise:
- soliton theory, the Painlevé equations, Painlevé analysis;
- classical, direct, and nonclassical symmetry reductions and exact
solutions of nonlinear partial differential equations;
- asymptotics, Bäcklund transformations, connection formulae and exact
solutions for nonlinear ordinary differential and difference equations;
- symbolic manipulation programmes for symmetry analysis;
- reductions of the self-dual Yang-Mills equations
- 5 books;
- more than 100 research papers
Selected Publications (Books):
- M. J. Ablowitz and P. A. Clarkson,
Solitons, Nonlinear Evolution Equations and Inverse Scattering,
London Mathematical Society Lecture Note Series,
Vol. 149, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1991.
- P. A. Clarkson (Editor), Applications of Analytic
and Geometric Methods to Nonlinear Differential Equations, NATO Advanced Study Institute Series C:
Mathematical and Physical Sciences, Vol. 413, Kluwer, Dordrecht, 1993.
- J. A. Tuszynski, J. M. Dixon and P. A. Clarkson, From
Non-linearity to Coherence: Universal features of nonlinear behaviour in many-body physics, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1997.
- P. A. Clarkson and F. W. Nijhoff (Editors), Symmetries and Integrability
of Difference Equations, London
Mathematical Society Lecture Note Series, Vol. 255, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1999.
- M. J. Ablowitz and P. A. Clarkson (Editors), Solitons and Symmetries, Special issue of Journal of
Engineering Mathematics, Kluwer, Dordrecht, Vol. 36, Issue 1/2, 1999.
Institute of Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science
University of Kent
Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NF
Home page: http://www.kent.ac.uk/IMS/people/pac3/